Monday 18 January 2016

Trivandrum and Kanyakumari

“Only the calm can sail the storm!”

Trivandrum

If you look at my blog, the 47 entries in Writer’s World including this one, I guess the one theme that has centered in most number of articles will relate to the most beautiful days of my life; and quite certainly for most of my readers too – GMCS. To those non-CA readers of mine, GMCS stands for General Management and Communication Skills; a 15 day compulsory soft skill development programme that every CA student has to undergo in his 2nd and 4th year. Some of you may understand my emotion and some may be aghast at this statement, but I can say it over a million times - those two tranches of 15 days each are simply the most magnificent things that have happened to me. Biggest chunk of credit goes to my dear friend and teacher – Mr. Suncy Varghese.

Living up to the hype, every memory connected with my GMCS is wonderful and holds a truly special place in my heart (and also my blog. I have so far dedicated 5 posts to GMCS). One of those sweet memories is about our GMCS II reunion which happened 10 days back. Yes, it was Awesome! There were friends, there was food and there were Chalus… Tooooo Manyyyy Intoxicating Chalus… so many that my fingers slip as I think of those horrendous jokes which can rip the brains out of any decent listener. And mind you, I am a Dementor of chalus. My friends could vouch for the fact that my Chalu… Is worse than a Dementor’s kiss. Beware!

Yes, it was Awesome! In spite of the fact that somebody could not turn up because he had to clean his Grandmother’s house, or somebody else couldn’t turn up because he had to work on a Sunday. As I saw my Chalu cracking, chicken eating, counter striking, football crazy, business heading, political stalwart, movie fanatic bunch of friends, I thought to myself, “Nothing can get me upset now!”

But one phone call did. My best friend said, “We got robbed!”

Kanyakumari

Travelling to Southern Tamilnadu for audits is always awesome. Not just that the audits are a wonderful learning experience, but it gives us girls the opportunity to venture out of the comfort zone of our home town, it gives us the exposure to really big manufacturing units, the people are really nice down here and most importantly, there are so many nice places to visit during the weekends. Our destination this Sunday was Kanyakumari.

The highlight of the trip was of course the sunrise, so we set out on our two and a half hour journey at 3.30 in the morning. The wind was waking up the ocean, its roar was soft yet powerful and the view of its massive expanse was breathtaking. Ocean on all three sides, infinity of water which gently danced to the winds, changing colours from black to dark blue under the canvas of a golden sky to sky blue. From the depths of the Indian Ocean, the sun rose up to the sky, putting every metaphor in the world of a rising sun to shame! I stood there with my three colleagues, listening to the sweet wind and the glorious ocean, whisper in my ear like my mother and father, taking in the view in a way no camera can ever capture. It upset me that my mind could do so little to hold this memory. No, my mind couldn’t. These moments had to be relished right then, right there! Moments passed on as I bathed in the beauty of that view and finally the sun was up in the blue sky.

My friends went forward to have a dip in the sea, but I chose to stay back and watch the fun. There were many families around and little children spilling across the beach was a joy to watch. We spend more than an hour over there before we decided to head back our cab and continue our journey. There were a couple of beautiful temples in Kanyakumari and a waterfall the name of which I keep forgetting which we had planned to visit. So we walked back to the cab to find that the windows had been smashed. We got robbed!

Trivandrum

I almost dropped my bottle of Coke as I heard her voice. “Shreya are you alright? Where are you? What happened? Did you lose anything valuable? Where are-“ I launched a tirade of questions at her which was swiftly cut short by, “Pranav, I am alright! Can’t talk now, will text you the stories in detail!”

Suddenly everything around me seemed to lose colour. The people looked dull, the food was tastless and the jokes were ridiculous and annoying. Yes, I was worried sick about my best friend, but that’s how we are – Shreya catches a cold and Pranav starts sneezing.

Although an year older, Shreya was a younger sister to me. It was my sole responsibility to make sure nothing upset her. The slightest distaste in her voice and I would find out, and no effort from her part could hide it from me. I knew her so well that from the tone of her, “Hello”, I could find out where she was and what she was doing – Literally! And she reciprocated with so much more love and care. Well, that’s how siblings are, aren’t they?

And now I was worried sick to the pit of my stomach, so badly that the slightest whisper could put me on fire. I stuck my nose into the phone, oblivious to the jibes of others around me, waiting for stories from the other end.

Kanyakumari

We were two girls and two boys. Both of us girls lost our handbags, which contained our purse, an extra set of clothes, a credit card, my PAN card and my friend, a cell phone. “We have to inform the police right away”, the driver, a local, much older than us and someone who really understood the gravity of the situation told us. We followed his word at headed to the police station. What awaited me over there was a storm…

The younger boy had to sit back in the car and the three of us along with driver walked inside to file the complaint. We entered the Sub-Inspector’s office. It was a pretty wide room with the SI’s chair in the middle and a Police constable sitting by a table on one side. The SI was a huge man with a handsomely large belly and belligerent moustache, and he was accompanied by a typist who scrutinised us carefully. Needless to say, the room was silent and tense and did little to ease our fear. I, being the oldest of the three explained the situation. After I finished my story, the SI shot off his first question, the worst question that could be asked, “What are you two girls doing with two boys in Kanyakumari on a Sunday?”

The boy standing next to me clenched his fists and the girls who was already sobbing started crying harder. “Sir we have come from Chennai for an audit. We wanted to visit Kanyakumari for the weekend”.

“How old are you?”, “23”.
“Married”, “No”.
“And you two?”, “No sir, none of us is married.”

“Why have you two girls come all the way from Chennai with these two boys? Unmarried girls of your age… It is not as if there are no other audit firms from this city is it?” My friend was biting his teeth now.
“Sir, the client has its corporate office in Chennai and we handle the audit over there. Thus, we landed up doing the work over here also.” I said with a straight head and unblinking eyes.

“But why two girls and two boys?”
“One girl to accompany the other and a boy to accompany the other.” Also adding the name of the firm I work in the contact details of the manager who sent us.

The cop pulled aside the driver to ask him a few questions. I interceded and said, “Sir, he was with us all the time.” He then turned his attention to me and asked, “Alright then, give us a complaint in writing.” I obliged.

“We will let you know if you find something”, he said. I don’t know if I believed him, but in order to apply for a duplicate PAN Card, I needed a copy of the FIR and I had received it. The three of us headed back to the car, the boy still grumbling and the girl still sobbing. As we entered the car, the driver turned around and said, “I would have been in deep trouble if it were not for you!” His eyes seemed wet.

“Let’s go back to the guest house?” The other boy suggested.
“And what? Sit in the room and fuss about the drama? Let’s go ahead as planned, we will visit the temple and then go back.”

Trivandrum

Piece by piece she sent me the story by texts. Our get-together was over by 5.30 in the evening and I reached home after 15 minutes. Shreya called me up at around 6, “Is everyone alright now?” I asked.

“Yeah, everybody is fine. We are a little short of cash, so I have asked my father to send some. No problems!”

I asked her how she enjoyed the sunrise and other stuff and she asked me how the party went. I was tensed and almost spoiled the celebration. She was calm and made a party out of the whole incident.

“But still, how did you manage to remain calm through all this?” I asked her. She didn’t know the answer. “The driver later told me that he was stunned at the way I handled the SI… being a girl and all”, she told me. Quite honestly, I don’t think I, would have survived that episode.



Love

No comments:

Post a Comment