Friday 15 May 2020

Being God

This is a story that one of my friends shared in class when we were asked to speak on the most memorable moment of our life.

“As you all know, I am an atheist. I have denied the existence of God for as long as I can remember. But there was one moment that changed things. It was during college that our class went on a trek. I was a little hesitant to go because of an accident I had in my childhood and the fear of heights I have had since then. But perhaps the sense of wonder got the better of me and I went for it. And it was great! A fairly simple hike, until we reached a small stretch where we had to do a bit of Rock Climbing.
“Our Trek leader went ahead, showing us the proper footing to do the climb. I was quite athletic and followed him with relative ease... till the middle of the climb... at which point I made the tragic blunder of looking back. I was at the edge of a cliff, and one slippery foot would finish me off. I froze as the childhood phobia, my worst nightmare stared at me in the eye.
“My body couldn’t move. I was drenched in sweat, my hands started shivering and I started crying. There was nothing I could do. I couldn’t even move a finger, stuck in the middle of a steep climb, unable to go up or down, too far away for my friends below or my boss above to lend a helping hand. I was alone, I was desperate, I was helpless! In that moment of crisis there was only one thing I could do. I said, “God! Help me!”
“And then somehow my teammates figured something out and got me out of that situation. But that one moment, will stay with me forever!
“There is something that I learnt from that incident. It is this, that you need a LOT of courage to call yourself and atheist. You may contest in philosophical debates, engage in metaphysical conversations about the existence of some omnipresent superpower that rules the world, and even come out victorious in those exchanged. But when the chips are down, when you are all alone and there is nothing you can do, you instinctively turn to God. Ever since that happened, I call myself an agnostic. I don’t have to guts to say I’m an atheist.”

Now, I myself am yet to figure out my religious belief, and the spiritual journey I am going through has thus far not given me such clarity that I can share it with anyone, or even describe it one word. However, the story I just narrated is an important lesson and right now, I feel the urge to share some of my thoughts.

God may or may not exist. But prayer certainly exists! There are moments that push you to a corner where you are all alone, and there is nothing you can do about it. Any action taken by you will only make matters worse. There is absolute darkness, and the sheer hope for light is bleak. Moments, when you feel all is lost. And at that moment there is only thing that can be done. Pray, with every ounce of your mental strength, that some Superman will swoosh in and save the day. Pray, with such strength that the universe has no choice but the stand and take note, that some miracle will make all the darkness go away. Pray, with the promise that you will give everything you have and everything you can, for light in your eyes. That just this once, things get alright and you never want anything, ever again.

I don’t know if God exists. But right now I am in prayer. And I desperately wish that someone, either God, or someone God sent, or just anyone would just step in and solve this mess. And that prayer gave me a thought.

Maybe God exists. Maybe God doesn’t exist. But in such moments of crisis, you wish for someone to swoop in and pull you out of the cliff. And someone does save your life. That someone may not even know that you exist. Maybe he is God sent and he doesn’t know it. Or she just happened to be there and saved you out of the kindness of her heart. And sometimes... That someone is you!

Probably right now, someone is in prayer, and there is something you can do about it. Perhaps only you can do something about it. It could be a minute of your time, a soothing word or a text, maybe some cash that you could spare or an adventure that puts your life on the line. Maybe God has put you in charge of that situation, or maybe you just happened to be there. To hear a prayer and lend a hand... Or maybe, you are God.

No comments:

Post a Comment