Tuesday 9 May 2023

2073

 

I come from a time when everything was in abundance - food, water, arable land and even fresh air! So much so that most people didn’t even know where it all came from or how much was left. I remember the time when it almost felt like we all had an Akshayapatram at our homes, where we just had to pay for it and these resources would never end. And air... we didn’t even have to pay for that! Everybody got it... limitless and free. But we also knew that this wouldn’t last. The writing was on the wall and it was very clear, we knew things would change. But when everything was so good it is a little hard to imagine. People from this era will never understand, but back in the day it was so hard to believe when somebody said that we will run out of food and water. We all happily lived in denial.

I still remember those good old days. The golden age of humanity! Where our biggest concern was that the “economy isn’t growing fast enough”, or whose religion was better. I remember people resenting the internet being too slow. It was a simpler time. The government was busy peddling propaganda and doling out fake promises and nobody worried about how the limited stock of food, water and air would be rationed amongst nations and within each nation who would get how much. Back in the day, if you had money, you could buy anything you wanted. I know how unbelievable that might sound to the kids of this generation!

“Appa, we have some food. Why don’t you eat first?” My 40 year old son called me for dinner. Few children do that now – there is a raging debate about what to do with the seniors in the world. Is it worth expending resources to those who are in their final years? While in many parts of the world the debate is out in the open, in others it is just something many youngsters keep to themselves. Either way, everybody is thinking about it. When little ration reaches the house with great difficulty, families choose to feed their children first and the seniors last. I just happened to in a really lucky household.

“You start eating, I will join you”, I respond. My son leaves the room; he too is hungry. His cheeks have sunk, his eyes are hollow and his frame is evidence of starvation. I turn to look out the window and stare at the grey skies. Down below the roads are empty; a few cars can be seen every now and then and very rarely I spot someone walking on the streets. It is not safe for humans to venture out these days, the air is thick with smoke, the weather is unbearably hot and the very frequent rains burn the skin. Practically it is not a concern, because robots and drones do most of the work, but it does take a toll on the mental health! I tell my children and grandchildren that we have to go for a walk sometime and how important it is for your mental health but they just scoff at me. They think it is stupid to worry about “Mental Health” (they always restate my words with air quotes) in such situations. They never understand how important it is though, no matter how much I explain. You see, the biggest threat to humanity right now is not the lack of resources, but the rampant violence. Reports of murders is so frequent these days; refugees are the most common victims (and sometimes the perpetrators too), but people attacking their neighbours and family members too is not uncommon. How can it not be? When the conditions are so dire, and you can’t even step outside your home, anyone would lose their mind. Even the slightest trigger could blow up.

“Appa! Food!” My son doesn’t shout... he doesn’t have the energy to. He just calls out loudly. I am hungry; I wouldn’t mind one last meal. But more importantly, I want to see my family one last time. Yet, I know that if I go down, I won’t be able to do it. And if my son finds out what I am about to do, he wouldn’t agree to it. He is stupid... he loves me too much.

I know it is the right thing to do. I am 80 years old now, and have nothing to give to the world. Only receive. And every morsel of rice that I eat could feed a child who might survive and be the hope for humanity. Our planet really needs it right now. Every last sliver of hope...

“Appa!” He shouts out again. I can feel a stinging pain grip my heart. Tears fill up my eyes. If he calls me out one more time, I will break down. Can’t wait until then; I open the bottle and gulp down the syrup. I don’t notice the flavour... just that the liquid flows down my throat and I know that in a few moments it will be over. One more burden off the planet. Before I hear my son’s voice again, I will be gone. They will be devastated, but at some level, they will be relieved too. One less person to share their food, water and air...

6 comments:

  1. πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This was hard hitting. This makes me reflect on so many aspects of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let’s hope we never get there and the world will end in abundance and not scarcity !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful writing, and it's so relevant. Coming from you, doing what you do and being closer to a more natural world, I enjoyed it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strong and powerful message to let each one of us do our part for sustainable living. Hope we will not reach this situation. Great narrative! Looking forward for more!

    ReplyDelete