Sunday 28 May 2023

A Billion Year From Now

Astrophysics is perhaps the most magnificent and humbling subject to study. Just think about the scale of things. Hundreds of billions of large galaxies in the universe and our Milky Way is just one of them; each large galaxy containing hundreds of billions of stars; our own Milky Way containing around 400 billion stars. (Note the usage “large galaxy” – there are trillions of other dwarf galaxies, which contains stars in the order of hundreds of millions). All these stars – baryonic matter as they are called – consist of a mere 15% of the total matter in the universe; the remaining 85% is presumed to be Dark Matter. Bring in Dark Energy into the equation and what I mentioned above – the hundreds of billions of galaxies containing hundreds of billions of stars is a mere 4%.

            In this blip – the 4% - exists a star which we call the Sun. Around the Sun are several asteroids and satellites and comets and planets – one such planet is called the Earth. In this planet are numerous forms of life; out of which one species which supposedly dominates the planet is the Homo Sapien aka Humans. (Dominates in what sense? Perhaps the destructive ability because there are several trees which live longer, several trees and animals that are larger and several micro-organisms that more numerous in number.) There are around 8 billion humans on this planet – and I am just one of them.

            For me though, this isn’t the mind boggling part. Our universe is about 14 billion years old; our Sun around 4 billion and our planet Earth around 3 billion years old. In those 3 billion years all the oceans and rivers and mountains and forests and deserts were formed. (Life was extinct around 6 times in that time period.) Humans arrived at the scene around 70,000 years back, and our history goes back around 5,000 years.

            Let us be hopeful that humankind will overcome the climate crises and forge ahead. What would happen a thousand years in the future – year 3023! What would things look like 10,000 years in the future? Imagine a world one billion years in the future...

            It boggles my mind, but don’t forget that a billion years into the future, although an unfathomable period of time for us, is just another lap for the universe. In that time the Sun would complete another 4 rounds around the Milky Way, that’s all. What would be the state of technology in that era? What our culture and civilisation would be like? What would we be like? And the most fascinating question to me, one of great philosophical import – how would humankind remember us? I take that question very personally. What would be the significance of my life, of my actions, my accomplishments, my wealth and fame, a billion years from now?

            Will my actions have any consequence? Absolutely yes! I certainly believe that my actions will have consequences (thanks to the butterfly effect) a billion years from now. What work I do, what values I pass on, how I treat the people around me and how I nurture the next generation will have a massively compounded effect a billion years from now. But... will that be remembered?

            This is the most humbling aspect. Yes, our work, our actions, the love that we spread, the kindness we show... it will have an impact. But is anybody going to remember that? All the wealth that we accumulate, the fame that we seek, the power we crave, all our seemingly glorious accomplishments in a lifetime of 100 years – what would that amount to a Billion years from now. Kind of makes you... rethink why we do what we do doesn’t it? Makes me wonder, and once again look at how I want to live my life.

For what purpose? How? Why?

 

(Hope you enjoyed this article. There are a few books that gave the insights I shared above and helped me develop this perspective:-

1.     -  Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari

2.     -  Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson

3.     -  Elephant in the Universe by Govert Schilling

Keep reading, keep growing)

 

Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment